Friday, May 25, 2012

First blog here goes.

This journey is a very long time in coming. I have been very overweight since I was 21. I am 40 now. I have hidden behind this weight and have used it as an excuse for everything you can think of for the better part of the last 20 years.3 months ago I decided that enough was enough and it's time to stop hiding and using it as an excuse.

I can't say that that last 3 months have been a complete success. I may have lost 14kg so far and my fitness levels are pretty good but I have cheated my through my lifestyle change and for the last 3 weeks have reverted back to a previous me. A me I don't particularly like.

Hopefully this blog will help me look at that, see what I have done wrong and what sets off those negative triggers. The last week has been especially painful as I had started to revert back to previously unhealthy mindsets of which I can't write down just yet as I am not ready to share. Today is the first time this week that I have truly smiled and believe it or not, it has been while I have been planning out my diet (lifestyle for those who object to the word diet) and exercise for the coming week.

Okay for those people who have an objection to the word diet, why? It is far easier to express than "lifestyle" and I for one do not read any negative connotations into the word. What I am truly doing is changing my lifestyle. I have made a conscious choice to get back into my kitchen and cook healthy foods - something which I had avoided for a long time. As a single person, I do not enjoy cooking for myself and had really stopped spending healthy time in the kitchen unless I was cooking for others. Going onto to "diet" has put me back in the kitchen and cooking most nights an fantastic array of healthy foods.

I started this journey with the Channel 10 1 Million Kilo Challenge. I found myself very surprised at this diet. I has an amazing array of foods - not all of which I enjoyed and will avoid - but for the better part loved the foods. Got me cooking and eating foods I have never had in my home before - salmon, eggplants, lentils, quinoa, barley to name a few. 

3 months later and I can say that I don't particularly enjoy most sugary and chocolate foods any more...and I have never been able to say this as these have been a staple food group of mine for the better part of 20 years or more.

As important as diet is to this journey, exercise is equally as important and I started this journey doing something I said I would never justify - by getting a personal trainer. I have him just one day a week but he has me doing weights, which I have learned in the doses I am doing, is as beneficial to the weight loss journey as cardio is. I also walk. And walk. And walk. To the point that if I go more than 1 day without walking I feel it within myself. Thank goodness I have found myself a great walking partner in the city and when I don't have her, I have some great music to walk to. I have also found myself a companion for bush walking which I have now down twice and have thoroughly enjoyed and plan on doing longer and more strenuous ones.

Overall, all I can say is DO IT. What do you have to lose? Aside from weight, obviously? The feeling is amazing and it's worth every little bit of effort...

This is me 3 months ago.

Will post a photo of me soon now...still a long way to go though.

No comments:

Post a Comment